Fees and Out-of-Pocket Expenses
The following general policies apply to SMR fees for consultant services:
- From initial inquiry through the execution of a written agreement there are no fees for SMR services unless the client requires travel to campus for exploratory meetings.
- Generally, consulting fees range from $175 to $250 per work hour, with the higher hourly rates applicable to more complex projects, crisis management or projects with short deadlines.
- For days spent at the client’s institution or organization, a maximum fixed daily rate of $1,500 applies, no matter how many hours are spent on that day. Exception: initial visit to campus to determine scope of work and terms of agreement when only travel expenses may apply.
- No fees are charged for hours spent traveling except for international travel.
- Discount rates may apply for small independent non-profits.
- A limited number of pro bono engagements are donated by Associates each year.
- Flat fees are available for some services such as our proprietary comprehensive Title IX gender equity assessment and our diversity assessment package for less than $10,000 each.
- Extended payment options and retainer agreements may be appropriate for projects completed over an extended period of time.
- Expenses for additional non-SMR consultants or non-SMR trainers not included in the work agreement require written approval of the client.
- The client’s budget parameters are always discussed in a forthright manner. Weekly or monthly reports of work hours completed are provided according to the terms specified in the work agreement.
- Out-of-pocket expenses are the responsibility of the client and include:
- actual cost of coach travel, hotel and meals for on-campus visits with all visits requiring the approval of the client
- mailing and overnight shipping costs
- reproduction of agreed upon materials
- telephone charges for conference calls, roaming or other fees not included in normal cell phone calling minutes
- Receipts are submitted and client is invoiced for all expenses with terms for out-of-pocket expenses detailed in the consulting agreement.