University of Minnesota Sports Business Institute
Many academic institutions provide their students with "real world" practicums by contracting with commercial entities and non-profits to perform consulting services, just as an independent consultant or consulting group would do. Graduate and undergraduate students, under the expert eye of faculty and professional serving in advisory positions. The University of Minnesota Sport Business Institute (UM-SBI) is one such program. Its mission is to provide clients in the sport industry business consulting services, while providing sport management students real world experience in which to apply current sport management theory and practices and to conduct research.
- To help sport industry clients solve problems, identify solutions, and seek business success.
- Bridge the University of Minnesota and it’s resources through the School of Kinesiology sport management program with sport industry entities.
- Allow students and faculty to apply current sport management theory and practice through consultation and research with sport organizations.
- Introduce the sport industry to the University of Minnesota's Sport Management program and its outstanding students and faculty.
- Enhance the educational experience of sport management students.
UM-SBI provides services in the following areas:
- Business Plans
- Business Development Analysis
- Economic Impact Studies
- Event Management Plans
- Human Resource Analysis
- Marketing and Market Research
- Policy & Procedure
- Risk Management Planning
- Sponsorship Strategies and Sales
- Title IX Assessment
For more information, go to the UM-SBI web site.
Recommended by: Donna A. Lopiano, Ph.D., President, Sports Management Resources