Note: Following are excerpts from the prepublication manuscript. Do not distribute without citation.
Lopiano, D.A. and Zotos, C. (Publication 2013) The Athletics Director’s Handbook: A Comprehensive Practical Guide to the Management of Scholastic and Intercollegiate Athletics Programs. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
The following instrument could be used to obtain an employee evaluation of her/his supervisor.
EVALUATION OF SUPERVISOR
Supervisor being evaluated__________________________Position___________________________
- To be used by interns, part-time and full-time employees to evaluate full-time staff members who are their immediate supervisors.
- The purpose of this or any employee evaluation tool is to identify strengths and weaknesses and make suggestions for improvement.
- Evaluations must be signed and turned into the Associate Director for Business Affairs. The identity of evaluators will kept confidential. Only an aggregated summary will be shared with the supervisor during his/her annual performance evaluation.
- If a "4" or "5" is used to identify the need for improvement, a specific example of supervisory behavior that causes the rating must be included in the “Comments” section at the end of the evaluation.
- "N/A" = not applicable should only be used if the supervisor has not engaged in such activity (i.e., "conflict resolution") and cannot be assessed.
- Use the following rating scale: "1" = Superior "2"= Very Good "3" Good/Average "4" = Unsatisfactory "5" = Very Unsatisfactory
RATING PERFORMANCE EXPECTATION
______ 1. Orients new employees to the duties and responsibilities of her/his position.
______ 2. Responds to questions or requests for assistance in a positive and helpful manner.
______ 3. Clearly explains new assignments.
______ 4. Provides deadlines for all new assignments.
______ 5. Clearly explains and adjusts priorities when workload creates priority conflicts and prioritization is requested by an employee.
______ 6. Creates a clear expectation for and accepts only quality work product.
______ 7. Follows department policies and procedures with regard to conflict resolution.
______ 8. Actively promotes the professional development of his/her staff members.
______ 9. Demonstrates excellent communications skills.
______ 10. Treats employees fairly.
______ 11. Creates a collaborative team atmosphere by explaining the purpose of and roles of all employees working on a specific project.
______ 12. Compliments employees upon production of good work.
______ 13. Motivates employees to exceed expectations in the performance of duties and responsibilities.
______ 14. Speaks kindly of others and creates a positive work environment.
______ 15. Your overall assessment of the quality of this supervisor.
For any of the above ratings that is a “4” or “5” , you must include a specific example.
# of Performance
Other specific comments to assist the supervisor in improving his or her performance:
(Your name is requested only to determine that all employees returned a supervisor evaluation.)